Hadrian's Wall Path Completion Badge
Hadrian's Wall Path Summer Passport
National Trail Summer Passport
The Summer Passport was introduced in 2003, the year the Trail was officially opened. One reason it came into being was for conservation. Walking the Trail during the normally drier months helps to conserve the underlying archaeology when the soils tend to withstand more wear-and-tear. We also know that many people love to collect the stamps and be able to keep their fully stamped Passport as a great souvenir of their achievement!
Between 1st May and 31st October each year, collect all seven stamps in the passport from the stamping stations to qualify for the exclusive Hadrian’s Wall Path completion badge and certificate. Passports are available to purchase from the Hadrian’s Wall Country Online Shop (details below). Badges & Certificates are available to purchase during the Passport season from Segedunum Roman Fort, also Asda supermarket, in Wallsend; The King’s Arms Inn in Bowness-on-Solway or by mail order from Hadrian’s Wall Trust (a mail order form is included in the Passport).
Collect your stamps from the stamping stations:
1. Segedunum Roman Fort & Museum (Wallsend) – Start/End of Trail. Grid Ref NZ301661. Situated inside main entrance of the museum (normal opening hours), also an outside stamping box at the rear entrance (any time). Also available from TOTAL petrol station ,150 yards east of Segedunum, and from the Asda supermarket (normal opening hours) which is two minutes walk from Segedunum.
2. Robin Hood Inn - 1 mile (1.3 km) west of Whittledene Reservoir. Grid Ref NZ050684. Situated on right hand side of porch entrance. Available anytime.
3. Chesters Roman Fort & Museum (Chollerford) - Grid Ref NY911704. Situated inside and outside main entrance of museum. Available normal opening hours. When site is closed an outside stamping box will be displayed at the entrance to the car park.
4. Housesteads Roman Fort & Museum - Grid Ref NY789687. Situated outside next to the museum entrance. Available anytime.
5. Birdoswald Roman Fort (Gilsland) - Grid Ref NY615663. Situated inside main entrance and shop. Available normal opening hours. When site is closed an outside stamping box will be displayed on the site building.
6. Carlisle - Stamps available from The Sands Centre, Tullie House and Sheepmount Athletics Stadium
- The Sands Centre (Carlisle) - Grid Ref NY402565. Situated inside centre café - access via glass door from Trail on riverside path. If locked, access at front of building. Available from reception when café is closed. Building open: 08.00-22.00 daily.
- Tullie House Museum & Art Gallery (Carlisle) - Grid Ref NY398560. Situated inside main entrance. Available during normal opening hours. Open: Apr-Oct Mon-Sat 10.00-17.00, Sun 11.00-17.00; Nov-Mar Mon-Sat 10.00-17.00, Sun 12.00-17.00.
- Sheepmount Athletics Stadium (Carlisle) – Grid Ref NY394567. Situated inside main entrance. Available during normal opening hours. Open: Mon-Thu 09:00-22:00; Fri 09:00-21:00; Sat-Sun 09:00-19:00.
7. The Banks Promenade (Bowness-on-Solway) – Start/End of Trail. Grid Ref NY223628. Also available at the Lindow Hall, next to the King’s Arms Inn, during hall opening hours; and at the King’s Arms Inn during normal opening hours: Mon-Fri 16.00-23.00, Sat-Sun 12.00- 23.00.
To order a small number of Passports or a larger number (more than 20) for a walking group or charity event, please visit the Hadrian's Wall Country Online Shop
Tour Operators please e-mail David.Mcglade@hadrianswallheritage.co.uk
Hadrian's Wall Path Completion Badge & Certificate
Collect all seven stamps between 1st May and 31st October to qualify for the exclusive Hadrian's Wall Path purple achievers' badge, available from The King's Arms in Bowness-on-Solway or Segedunum Roman Fort in Wallsend.