There many guidebooks available for the South Downs Way, some include detailed maps and route descriptions to direct you along the Trail. Others act more as a companion giving you additional information about the South Downs and specific things you will see en route.
There are also a selection of books with circular walks in the South Downs, many of the walk incorporate the South Downs Way and are great for inspiring you to just get out and about for the day.
Below are a selection of books obtainable from most good high-street or online bookshops. Alternatively many are also available to borrow for free from your local library.
The South Downs Way National Trail Guide
South Downs Way: a Rucksack Reader
Buy direct from the publisher here.
Mountain Biking on the South Downs
The South Downs Way
South Downs Way Trailblazer Guide
This new edition by Jim Manthorpe shows you how to get the best out of your walk along the South Downs Way It includes:
- 60 detailed walking maps, the largest scale maps available (just under 1:20 000 or 8cm to a mile).
- Guides to 49 towns and villages along the way with information on pubs, restaurants and accommodation.
- Unique mapping features including walking times, directions, tricky junctions.
- Itineraries for all walkers whether hiking the whole route or out for the day.
- Now includes trail profiles so you can see the section you are walking in profile and understand the heights you will be scaling that day.
An OS Map would be useful to carry as well for more general orientation.